Can you Renew Your U.S. Passport by Mail?
You may use form DS-82 to renew by mail if:
- You have your passport in your possession to submit with your application.
- It’s undamaged other than normal wear and tear.
- The passport was issued when you were age 16 or older.
- The passport was issued within the last 15 years.
- The passport was issued in your current name or you can document your name change.
If you answered "no" to any statement, you must apply in person.
The passport fees for adults eligible to apply by mail using form DS-82, Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail, are $110 for the passport book and $30 for the passport card.
DS-82: U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals
- The Form Filler will select the correct form for you based on the information you input. It may generate a different form from what you expect.
- You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).
- If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
- For more information, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
- You can renew a passport book, a passport card, or both documents.
- You may request a larger passport book with 52 pages at no additional cost by checking the ’52 page’ box at the top of the DS-82.
- You must complete all pages of the form and sign and date it.