Victims of Domestic Assault

If you are the victim of domestic violence, you can ask the city or county attorney to file a criminal complaint. You also have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an order for protection from domestic abuse. The order could include the following:

  • An order awarding you or the other parent custody of or parenting time with your minor child or children; or
  • An order directing the abuser to leave your household;
  • An order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor children if the abuser ha a legal obligation to do so.
  • An order preventing the abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment;
  • An order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse;
  • You also have the right to notification if prosecution of the case is declined or criminal charges are dismissed.