Business Hazardous Waste
Businesses can dispose of hazardous waste at the Stearns County Household Hazardous Waste facility for a fee. The Stearns County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is located at 3601 5th Street South, Wait Park, MN 56387.
Types of Generators
There are three types of generators that qualify to use the Stearns County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. Generator size must be determined before using the facility:
- Very Small Quantity Generator: generate less than 220 pounds (or 22 gallons liquid) of non-acute hazardous waste per calendar month.
- Minimal Quantity Generator: generate less than 100 pounds (or 10 gallons liquid) of hazardous waste per calendar year.
- One-time Generator: generate and dispose of less than 2,200 pounds of hazardous waste as a one-time clean out – the business/organization no longer generates hazardous waste in its normal operations.
Hazardous Waste Identification Number (HWID)
A business will need to obtain a Hazardous Waste Identification Number (HWID) through the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) to utilize the Stearns County Household Hazardous Waste facility. There are two ways to apply for a HWID:
- Apply online using the MPCA’s e-Service site; the MCPA has developed a how-to document to guide generators through the account setup and HWID application process.
- Call the MPCA toll free at 1-800-657-3864 to request a HWID application. Paper forms may experience longer processing times.
Stearns County VSQG Application
After the business receives their Hazardous Waste Identification Number, follow these last four steps:
- Fill out the Stearns County Application to Dispose of Non-Residential Hazardous Waste.
- Call Stearns County HHW Facility (320) 257-8605 to check if the waste listed on the application needs to be approved prior to delivery. If so, deliver the application in-person to Stearns County HHW Facility or mail to: Stearns County Household Hazardous Waste Facility 705 Courthouse Sq Room 343 St. Cloud, MN 56303.
- After Stearns County approves the list of materials, make an appointment.
- Bring a check or credit/debit card for payment.